marmolita
What were the first anime and manga series you got into?  Do you still enjoy them?
0 0
Unregistered
Oh boy, here we go. This is going to age me, but my first anime was Yu-Gi-Oh the *original series*, not any of that other... stuff... they pass off as Yu-Gi-Oh now a days. If there's not Egyptian artifacts, it's not the real deal. I was obsessed with it when I was young. God, *so* obsessed. And then, a few years later, I discovered fanfiction as well. You can imagine how that went. (Hint, it got worse.)
I still enjoy it, but I don't really read anymore fanfic because all the writers in the fandom now seem so *young* to me and I can't handle the writing style. Not that I'm bashing them, but my taste has evolved and matured over time. Plus, since there's been no new material for a while. I'll still occasionally watch the original episodes. And I have some of the manga on my bookshelves.
0 0
Victory March
Probably Yu Yu Hakusho. It was the first anime I watched all the way through and it gave me just enough of the things I wanted to keep me watching.

I read all the fic I could find for a while, but most were short or romance-focused which I found unsatisfying. I only ever found a couple of well-written fic that explored the world of the show.

(There's a lot to explore: There's a few permanent physical transformations that the characters go through and that must have been pretty life-changing. Demon society is so violent, it's not clear how it manages to function how the cast deals with the massive cultural differences is mostly only implied, so there's a lot of leeway for world-building. Given that the show started with the main character dying, I was left deeply curious as to how the afterlife that he missed out on works. There's a lot of subtle commentary on social status in the show (the main character and his rival are thugs) which someone could certainly do something amazing with. There's also many, many loose character and relationship threads, with even the couple of closed arcs demanding further elaborations.)

I still like the general concept, but the actual episodes take to long to get anywhere. (Though the abridged series is hilarious.) Given the fandom is not very active, I only rarely look for more fics, though I re-read my favourites and eagerly check out recs.
0 0
Kimship

I'm a bit late listening and thus responding, but figured I'd give my "story". I have two, sort of.
First, I have a show I was really into as a child that I later recognized was anime: The Mysterious Cities of Gold. It has a hilariously awful 80's dub(although I love it), but the story is really fun, and actually has a lot of PoC as main and secondary characters. Also, a super-catchy main song.

But, I first got into anime fandom when I was in 10th grade in about '96-'97 when a classmate brought in her Ranma 1/2 manga to Latin class and I started reading it. So I read more and watched the anime and fell in with the little clique of anime nerds at school and was really into it all through my first years of college, before it became more of a side interest to general western sci-fi/fantasy fandoms. But, along with Ranma was Fushigi Yuugi and Escaflowne and Eva and Marmalade Boy and Child's Toy and CLAMP and Gundam Wing and Serial Experiments Lain in HS. Later it was FMA and Hikaru no Go and Fruit's Basket and Cowboy Bebop and Trigun and so much more.

And, while I've never really quit it, I've been getting back into anime recently due to Yuri on Ice, and I'm really appreciating the massive amounts of fanfic that have grown up around it! I'm seeing more of overlap of western fannish conventions(labeling, etc.)  in Yuri on Ice than I remember for other anime, but that might be because I read most of my YoI fic on AO3. (And, I have looked for fic yet, but I loved the first season of March Comes in Like a Lion; it's so contemplative.)

0 0
marmolita
Kimship, do I know you IRL?  Because I took Latin in high school in 96-97 and was into all of those shows haha. [biggrin]
0 0
Unregistered
Maybe! Where did you go to school? I was in Florida, to be vague.
0 0
Kimship

Forgot to post as myself. I should probably make an account.

0 0
marmolita
Ahhh definitely not then, I was in California.  I guess late 90's anime fandom was the same everywhere!
0 0
Osidiano
Haha, it really does seem like we were all into the same stuff in the 90s. I think I technically got started with Pokemon? But my anime/fandom senpai and I quickly jumped show and ended up watching The Slayers and Record of Lodoss War because our local Blockbuster had some VHS tapes of those. The Lodoss War OAV series remains a fave of mine; I would die for Orson, my Berserker son. We rented basically everything they had, so we also saw Akira and some A.D. Police and Bubblegum Crisis and Reign and stuff like that (so gritty! I still kind of dig that aesthetic). After that we spiraled out of control and joined like 9000 mailing lists online (I just realized that was like our old school Tumblr XD ) and followed a fansub distributor, so we got into some lesser known stuff. Violinist of Hameln was really good, I was obsessed with Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne for a while. . . Of course, I also got into Gundam Wing (and then the older Gundam series; Stardust Memories is the best imho), Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, El Hazard, Weiss Kreuz, Evangelion, Digimon, Fruits Baskets, like everything Clamp was releasing back then, Shonen Jump’s manga dump (we cheered when Shojo Beat started coming out in English, too), Yu-Gi-Oh!, you name it. My senpai’s friends jumped into cosplay and the local convention circuit while I introduced a bunch of my friends in middle school to anime and manga, and became like the lending library for a while, since I was the one who could get the fansubs and I had a paper route so my mom didn’t care as long as I was using my own money for it. We sat in Borders bookstores and read manga on the floor between shelves while waiting to save up enough to get the next volumes. I remember when Mononoke came out, and we were all so shocked it was going to be released in theaters! After that we were all scrambling to get our hands on Miyazaki’s works, so it was all about My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki’s Delivery Service and Porco Rosso and Nausicaa, and then I got really into Otomo’s films (Steamboy! Metropolis!! Magnetic Rose!!!). I didn’t even find Tezuka or Urasawa until college.

Aaah. Such nostalgia :,)
0 0