theotpodcast
Feel free to share any more general thoughts here or post a new topic if you want to dive into something specific that was talked about.
0 0
Unregistered
Honestly, I couldn't make it past the disgusting snobbery of your response to George RR Martin - a response that basically amounted to "Well, Fantasy isn't real writing anyway!" Obviously I disagree with GRRM, but nothing he said comes close to the snobbishness of your response, dismissing his books and insulting their fans because... what? The books are big, so clearly there's no craft in them? They contain violence, so their fans are only interested in stabbing and boobs? Don't even get me started on the comments on their worldbuilding. (I still can't work out what exactly it's supposedly so closely based on - Earth history? 'Cause it's certainly nothing like LOTR, and it subverts most of the fantasy tropes it uses. Unless you think every book with a medieval setting and dragons is exactly the same.) It's okay if you have actual criticisms - hey, a text can be interrogated from many valid perspectives - but generally it should be the perspective of someone who's actually fucking read them, and that doesn't show utter contempt for the people who have.
0 0
theotpodcast
Oh boy...

I apologize if it came across as snobbery on our part. We certainly didn't mean to disparage the Game of Thrones books or anyone who enjoys them. I know that none of us meant that fantasy isn't real writing, because all of us have admitted and are part of the fic community in part because we love science fiction and fantasy worlds. I believe that the point we were trying to make with reference to Martin's influences wasn't that his books were carbon-copies of prior works, only that as an author working in fantasy writing he is certainly drawing on the work of others in his approach and within that genre.

We did admit that none of us had read the books and were looking at it from the outside. I suspect that the contempt that we came across with was really more contempt for his contempt for fanfiction than aimed at Martin's craftsmanship and abilities as a writer. I do admit that we perhaps should have stuck more to addressing specifically the criticisms we had of his comments about fanfiction than his work.

The frustration you felt is valid, and unfortunately is apt to happen when I work hard to keep our conversations on the show as off the cuff and free-flowing as I do. I appreciate you bringing your issue to our attention, and it is something I will try to be aware of going forward.
0 0